Monday, October 25, 2010

World Series!


My heart rate - which first quickened during Sanchez' meltdown in the first inning and skyrocketed during the eighth and ninth - has finally stabilized. I've come to terms with the fact that this Giants team that I adore - a team that will probably not score more than five runs in any game for the remainder of the postseason - will in fact play in the World Series and I am not dreaming. I've liked all of my friends' Giants related stati on Facebook.

In a few days, I'll start complaining about all of the sports experts' inevitable predictions that the Rangers will prevail, and trying to fight off bad memories from 1989 and 2002. Today, I'm allowing myself only to savor this moment, and reflect on the moments and images of this NLCS:

- Jonathan Sanchez last night, glove out, not even reaching for the ball that Chase Utley casually flipped to him after getting beaned, and letting it fall to the ground.

- Pablo Sandoval at second base, clapping and waving his arms and pointing to the sky after finally coming through with his bat by blasting a two run double in Game 4, being cheered on by the San Francisco fans who wanted so desperately to see the Pablo of 2009, and finally did.

- Tim Lincecum getting out of a jam in Game 5, and telling Jimmy Rollins who had just been stranded on third, "Stay there!" on his way back to the dugout.

- Cody Ross' grin, wherever it was found.

- Juan Uribe's half flip of the bat in Game 4, outdone only by Part II: Full Flip in Game 6.

- Everything said and done by Brian Wilson. My favorite person in the universe got even favoriter.

Four more wins. Just four more.



No comments:

Post a Comment