Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rookie of the Year ...and Beyond!

I know it's late in coming, but before we start delving into pressing off season issues like free-agency, Pablo Sandoval's nutritionist, and the new alternate road uniforms (and we will cover all of this), my first order of business is to offer congratulations to Buster Posey for snagging Rookie of the Year honors earlier this week.

This year, for some reason, the individual awards just didn't hold as much of my attention as they have in earlier years. In the past, I might have felt that Andres Torres was robbed of a Gold Glove after a performance in the field like the one he turned in this season, but this year I couldn't care less that he didn't win it. In November of 2008 and 2009, I was locked in to Tim Lincecum and the Cy Young Award race. 2010? Not on my radar at all. And although I didn't feel like Tim deserved it this year, they could have given the 2010 Cy Young to Jonathan Broxton and it wouldn't have mattered to me. So what is the reason for this season's indifference to the individual trophies?


Oh yeah. It must be that this trophy is a lot shinier.

Buster being the ROY, though, is a little different. I holds a little more significance, because after meeting and in some cases exceeding our very high expectations for him, Buster Posey has now stepped into a future in which the San Francisco Giants are his team. We all know that Buster will be an All-Star level or possibly elite catcher for the next ten or so years. But he is poised to become the leader of the Giants for those ten years. Rookie of the year, and World Series champion. Last guy to do that? Derek Jeter. He became the face of the franchise for a very successful decade.

I can see Buster in the Jeter mold - Calm, poised, and really hated by the people who hate him. Currently, Dodger fan friends down here claim to admire him. One friend, while discussing the World Series, even shook his head, smiled, and said, "Man, I wish the Dodgers had that guy." Three seasons from now, though, especially if the Giants continue to experience success, you can bet on Buster Posey being Public Enemy no. 1 in L.A. the same way that Jeter is hated in Boston. In fact I'm looking forward to hearing the boos grow increasingly louder in Chavez Ravine next season when his name is announced.

Cheers, Buster!

No comments:

Post a Comment