Sunday, July 18, 2010

Beat LA! Beat LA! Beat LA!


This isn't just a chant post. Although if you want to start a chant in the comments section, be my guest. I think that would be amazing, actually.

I'm excited tonight because my surging Giants will actually be in town today. So before I go find out what hotel they're staying at, call in sick to work, and stalk them, I wanted to go over five keys to what I see as a very important early second-half series.

1. The starters need to keep outdoing each other. According to reports, during the break Bochy told the starters they need to step it up. I call this brilliant managing, because it worked - we're four fifths of the way through the rotation and everyone has turned in a gem. In game one, it's time for the new kid Madison Bumgarner to turn in his. This won't be easy in the unfriendly confines of Chavez Ravine. Use the challenge of trying to top your teammates.

2. Hit better with runners in scoring position. I know the offense has been clicking lately, but this would be a bad time to get lazy. Sunday they were 1-15 with RISP. I don't care if it was against Santana, Bad hitting has a tendency to snowball.

3. Beware of the cornered rabid dog. This is what we're dealing with with the Dodgers. They are slumping and had a tough, tough loss Sunday at St. Louis. They also had a tough series vs. the Yankees last month, and still swept us in our house. We can't assume they will continue to suck now. They will be back home ready to take out their frustrations on us. Nothing less than our A game will be acceptable. By the way, speaking of frustrations...

4. Take out your anger at Cuzzi on the Dodgers. I know it was a horrible call and cost us a win. But in a way, I'm almost glad the Giants lost today. If Ishikawa would have been called safe, they might have been lulled into thinking that they can stink at the plate all afternoon and not worry because they can pull a late inning comeback out of their back pockets. With the loss though, now the Giants know they will have to earn their win.

5. This is more a tip for the fans and the media, I guess, but nonetheless an important one: Shut up about potential deals at the trade deadline. The most important thing right now is what is going on at the field. Musing about what a player might have done who isn't even on the team won't help. Don't do it. The front office will make it's decision and we can dissect it when the time comes. Until then...

BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

1 comment: